Dear Preschool Families,
Our board of parent volunteers has been closely following the various stages of guidance from AB Health & Licensing. New rules will not allow our program to run as originally planned, but we do have a tentative plan for the fall.
Based on current provincial guidelines, we believe we can run programs next year with the following modifications –
- maximum class size of 9 or 10 children, depending on the class
- staggered start times
- no volunteering in class (parents cannot be allowed in the building)
- health screening at daily drop off (children cannot attend if sick)
- no shared spaces between classes (washroom will be divided, no gym)
- 13% fee increase (3yoPM class will also have an additional class day each week, so that class has a new fee structure)
- each family will be required to buy a $200 Save-on-Foods grocery card each month (or opt out and add $20 to your monthly fees). You receive the full amount on a grocery card, but Save-On-Foods gives Preschool a 10% discount, which we keep.
The class schedule & fees would be as follows:
- 3yoAM Carmen T/Th 8:45-11:00, $146/month
- 3yoAM Claire T/Th 9:00-11:15, $146/month
- 3yoPM Claire T/W/Th 12:45-2:45 (one class 3 days/week), $175.50/month
- PreKAM Carmen M/W/F 8:45-11:45, $182.50/month
- PreKAM Claire M/W/F 9:00-12:00, $182.50/month
- PreKPM Carmen M-Th 12:30-3:30, $245.50/month
We have tried to make the fee increases as reasonable as we can, and we hope the grocery card will work for many of you in lieu of additional fees. We anticipate losing about $35,000 in fundraising this year from the closure of AB casinos and likely cancellation of the Artisans Market in November. Fundraising usually covers about 25% of our budget. We will also have additional costs, plus lower overall revenue due to restrictions on class sizes – each teacher is allowed to be in one cohort of 30, when we normally have capacity for 93 kids. We are actively seeking other sources of funding to replace our major fundraising events, and if we receive grants & gifts for which we’ve applied, we will look at adjusting fees downward when/if we are able.
Of course, there may be changes as time passes. If things go well through the fall, restrictions may loosen. If AB experiences outbreaks, restrictions may tighten. We really appreciate your understanding and patience as we all navigate this changing landscape.
Thank you & best wishes,
The Preschool Board
Due to the novel coronavirus Covid-19, all preschools, daycares, and schools K-12 in the province of Alberta are closed until further notice.
Preschool staff have been temporarily laid off. We will be in touch with all current preschool families once we are allowed to reopen. You can email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will check email approximately once a week during the closure. If you require urgent assistance you can call our volunteer Board Chairperson, Rachel Lippitt – (403) 675-4045.
Registration for next school year is still open here on our website. The online system reflects current class availability.
We will send you all the details for the start of school in late August. Office hours will resume on August 31st. Preschool classes begin September 8th & 9th, 2020.
Thank you and stay well!
Registration is open as of 1 Feb 2020! Please click the orange button to the right to register.
For more information about available board positions, please click here. Board members are guaranteed their child’s class placement and it fulfills your 4-hour per year volunteer commitment.
For more information about our AGM & Registration Night on March 4, click here. Families who attend AGM are placed in classes before those who do not attend.
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Holiday Inn, 1 Silvertip Trail, Canmore. (Nakiska Room, Level P)
Thank you to the Holiday Inn for donating the meeting space!
In order to register for Preschool, and ensure your child’s place:
- In February, complete registration online, including the $45 fee.
- Beginning February 1st, you will be able to complete your registration online here. You will be able to register for either 3-Year-Old Preschool (birthdays in 2017) or for Pre-Kindergarten (birthdays in 2016). And set up payment of your September program fees to be paid automatically on August 1st. Specific class placements will be determined by the Preschool after AGM.
- On March 4, attend AGM at the Holiday Inn.
- We ask all families to attend AGM on March 4, 2020, and families that attend will be placed in classes before families who do not attend. The Annual General Meeting will last about an hour. We recommend attending without kids in order to focus on business and wrap up as soon as possible. We will provide childcare on site during the meeting for those who need it. Paper registration forms will also be available at the meeting for those who have not registered online.
- After AGM, as soon as we can, we will confirm class placements.
- On August 1, September program fees are due.
- This will be set up through the online registration. If you cancel your registration before August 1st, no payment will be taken beyond the initial $45 registration fee. Throughout the school year, we require 30-days written notice of withdrawal or 1 month’s fees.
If you volunteer for the Board your class placement will be guaranteed, as well as fulfilling your volunteer hours for the year. Here are the positions that are available. Please call or email if you are interested in volunteering, or look for the sign-up sheets in the lobby.
The first order of business for the AGM is to make sure we have a full board for the coming school year. As a cooperative, non-profit organization, Canmore Preschool cannot operate without these volunteers. We have some returning members for 2020-2021, but some positions remain to be filled. We will not be able to make class lists until the board is full.
The second order of business is registration for the 2020-2021 school year. If there are too many applicants for a class, we will use a lottery system to establish the class list. Parents must attend the meeting for their child to enter the lottery. All families who do not attend AGM will be placed or waitlisted in the order they are submitted, as space allows after all those who attend the meeting.
After we make initial class lists following AGM, we continue to accept registrations on a rolling basis as space allows.
We are a parent cooperative run by a board of parent volunteers. Please join the board to have a say in our program! If you volunteer for one of the following positions, your child’s class placement will be guaranteed and the duties will fulfill your volunteer hours for the year. (You will still need to take your turns as parent of the day in rotation with the other families in your class.) Please call Lindsey in the office to volunteer – 403-678-2538.
Voting Members – attend monthly meetings:
RAFFLE COORDINATORS x2
- Attend monthly meetings. Usually about 1-1.5 hours.
- Organize the annual Rocky Mountain Raffle.
- Solicit prize donations in September and into October – list of past donors to work from can be split in half between the 2 volunteers in this position.
- Organize all donations into 10 prize packages, so that Lindsey can print tickets in late Oct to be sold at the Artisans Market and by preschool families in Nov.
Pre-K, get ready for a day of fun in the snow! On Wednesday, March 11, TrailSports and the Nordic Centre are once again hosting our Pre-K classes for ski lessons.
- Pre-K will have no regular classes this day and should meet at the Nordic Centre for their 1-hour lesson. (See schedule below.)
- Permission slips will be in cubbies in February. Please return them by March 4th.
- Each child must wear a helmet.
- Each student must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver. Depending on the ability and experience of your child, one adult could be responsible for 2-3 children.
This is always an exciting outing, and we hope you can join us!
- Claire’s PreK AM Class – Arrive at 9am, lesson 9:30-10:30am
- Carmen’s PreK AM Class – Arrive at 10:30am, lesson 11am-12pm
- Carmen’s PreK PM Class – Arrive at 12:30pm, lesson 1-2pm
The Claire’s afternoon 3-year-old class will run normally at preschool.
Tickets on sale now! With 10 fantastic prize packages thanks to so many generous local sponsors, the odds are excellent and tickets are only $5 each! The prize drawing will be held Dec 12th – just in time for spreading Christmas cheer.
Heartfelt thanks to all of our sponsors! Thank you, Bow Valley and beyond 🙂
- 1st Prize:
- Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise 1 Night in a Deluxe Lakeview Room with Breakfast and Valet Parking
- Banff Trail Riders Sleigh Ride for 2
- 2nd Prize:
- Rimrock Resort 1 Night Stay with Breakfast
- Brewster Travel 2 Ultimate Explorer Passes –Gondola, Cruise, & Icefield
- 3rd Prize:
- Juniper Hotel & Bistro 1 Night Stay
- Mt. Norquay Ski Area Family Tubing Day Pass for 2 adults and 2 kids
- 4th Prize:
- Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel Vermillion Room Saturday Brunch for 4
- Discover Banff Tours Snowshoeing to Paintpots for 2
- 5th Prize:
- Clique Hotels 2 Night Stay at any Canmore property
- Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company $50 Gift Card
- 6th Prize:
- Canmore Golf & Curling Club 2 Greens Fees w/Power Cart
- Canmore Crossfit 10-Punch Pass for 10 Workout Sessions
- 7th Prize:
- Nordic Spa Kananaskis Passes for 2
- Bodhi Tree Spa 75 minute Facial Treatment
- Stonewaters Gift Bag
- 8th Prize:
- Cam Clark Ford Canmore $300 Detailing Package
- Sports Experts Dartboard Game Centre & 2 Ski/Snowboard Tune Ups
- 9th Prize:
- Canmore Chrysler $200 Gift Certificate to Parts & Service Department
- Canadian Tire Dyson V6 Trigger Handheld Vacuum
- 10th Prize:
- Calaway Park 4 Passes
- Timothy’s Popcorn Jelly Belly Gift Box
Additional Sponsors: Craig’s Way Station ● The Rose & Crown ● Valbella ● Elevation Place ● Pratts Food Service
All Proceeds Support Canmore Preschool providing early childhood education in the Bow Valley.
3000 tickets, $5 each, License # 547063
Choose from caving, dog sledding, ski rentals, guided hikes, tours focused on photography or food, or just buy a gift certificate – all of it supports Preschool!
Adventure Hub and their partners are proud to support community fundraising. When you book any Adventure Hub experience on this page a portion of sales will be directly donated to Canmore Preschool.
There is no deadline. Adventure Hub is here to help you discover your next adventure at any time. Our thanks to Tammera and Adam for setting this up!
Click below to browse available adventures:
Canmore Preschool follows the schedule of the Canadian Rockies Public Schools, including 2 weeks off for spring break.
Classes resume on Easter Monday, April 22nd, 2019.
We wish everyone a happy springtime!