The Canmore Preschool was founded in 1972 as a non-profit, parent-directed, charitable organization.
Originally it operated in the United Church hall, but in December 1982 Canmore Preschool moved to the Old Red Barn. This former farmer’s barn had been renovated to hold the preschool and the newly formed Canmore Community Daycare Society. The building belonged to the Town of Canmore, which rented the space to the Preschool and Daycare. They are two separate organizations with separate boards of directors.
The Canmore Preschool moved to its current location (The Roundhouse, 606A – 7th Avenue, Canmore) in March, 2012. This facility is also jointly leased by the Preschool and Daycare from the Town of Canmore. The design of the building is based on the original Canadian Pacific Railway roundhouse in Canmore, pictured above circa 1886.
The preschool has had some very long-serving teachers: Janet Hass taught for two decades and retired in 2002. She was joined in 1983 by Kathi Newman, who retired in 2007. “Principal” Nancy McGinn served as the preschool administrator 2000-2016. Nataliya Fladager taught at the preschool from 2007-2016.
Our two current teachers, Carmen Haase and Claire Crescencia, have taught at Canmore Preschool since 2008 and 2016 respectively.
The preschool was funded by Family and Community Support Services for many years, but government cutbacks eventually ended this funding. It is now financially self-sufficient, thanks to a very supportive community.
The preschool is licensed through Alberta Family and Social Services on an annual basis.
Last updated 2016
Below: The Three Sisters in 1884.